I couldn't sleep last night. Much like my days, I wasted the awake night doing nothing productive even though I actually have a lot of things I need to get done.
But instead of doing them, or sleeping, I spent part of the night randomly reading Wikipedia articles. Among the things I learned about last night:
1. H-Dagen: which was the day (September 3, 1967) that Sweden switched from driving on the left side of the road to the right. The process of how this shift was handled was honestly fascinating to me in the middle of the night lol.
2. From there I followed a link to an article about the introduction of standardized EU traffic signs and why this has been frought with opposition in some local jurisdiction.
3. Had all my questions about marshmellows answered
4. Back to my traffic theme, I read about speed limits
5. A link from the speed limit. article launched me to one about Isle of Man. I think I would like to visit there one day.
6. I took a break to harvest crops in my farmville game, after a year long banning of myself from facebook I joined again just so I could play this game. I also find myself addicted to Mafia Wars but didn't play that last night.
7. I read an email from my sister and looked at some pictures she sent of her kids' messy bedrooms. No pictures of the kids, just their rooms lol.Her tone in the email was one of outrage.
8. Back to wikipedia to find out if Canadians have always driven on the right. Answer; no. Until the mid 1920s, some provinces drove on the left, others on the right. Then the fedreal government mandated everybody must drive on the right. However in Newfoundland they continued to drive on the left until 1949. There was a confusing paragraph that said on one freeway in Montreal traffic does drive on the left hand side of the road. But the wording was very convulted and awkward. So tonight I will have to research this road and find out if that really is the case.
9. Had a break to watch an old episode of the Rocky and Bullwinkle show on the Teletoon Retro channel. At some point during that half hour, I finally fell asleep.
So that was my night. I learned a lot.
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Reading List
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(127)
-
▼
September
(17)
- sorry I am way far behind again on replying to com...
- I made it to Vancouver in one piece. It's far fro...
- I ate Lucky Charms for breakfast. For the first ti...
- Off to Vancouver today for the next 3 weeks. I hat...
- today's thoughts
- I couldn't sleep last night. Much like my days, I ...
- I just got back from my second movie in as many da...
- I just got back from Inglorious Basterds. This wa...
- today
- today
- We had very nice weather for part of the long week...
- We had very nice weather for part of the long week...
- I started school on Thursday. I am at a bit of loo...
- I can't edit my last post. I wanted to add this li...
- I read a quote one time by somebody I don't rememb...
- I am supposed to start school tomorrow, leave for ...
- I am supposed to start school tomorrow, leave for ...
-
▼
September
(17)
More on your new hobby....
ReplyDeletehttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/samoa/6154578/Samoans-switch-driving-sides.html
"3. Had all my questions about marshmellows answered"
ReplyDeleteSo did it talk about the origin of s'mores? I have always wondered about that gooy delicious creation.