After a few days of relaxation beside Shuswap Lake, or Lake Shuswap, I have seen it referred to both ways, it is back on the road later today. I am trying to find a map on google that will show where I am.
It has been beautiful here. Shuswap Lake is another of the many places that I just drove by in the past on my way to somewhere else without really giving a second thought to other than "oh that is nice." It really is beautiful here. Yesterday when the rain finally broke we took a small tour of sorts of a town known as the "house boat capital of Canada." "Tour" meaning exploring a fairly nice path that wound alongside the lake, presumably for golf carts which I was told is the preferred mode of transportation for many of the people who live in the boats. Something I found a little bizarre but also charming in an offbeat way.
I was kind of blue yesterday for some reason. I don't know why. I finished Lamb. Very funny. Like reading a book written by Monty Python. Actually I think parts of this book were pretty much stolen right out of both The Holy Grail and The Life of Brian. I am intruiged by Christopher Moore and want to read more but have decided he is not the kind of author I can read back to back books from. So I am taking a break with re-reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I don't usually read books a second time. But I recently edited a paper for a friend who was presenting a paper on this book at a conference (that sounds more impressive than it actually is, he asked me to edit for spelling, etc. simply because I am the only person he knows who has actually read this book before. Anyways his paper got me interested in this book again, which I last read what feels like a lifetime ago. I am in dire need of reading suggestions as I have lots of time to fill this summer. So I would appreciate if anybody has any.
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Reading List
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(127)
-
▼
June
(22)
- Down Day
- Yesterday was nice. I met an old friend and her b...
- Thanks for the all the book suggestions! I appreci...
- After a few days of relaxation beside Shuswap Lake...
- Photos
- Figured out finally how to post a picture to here ...
- Great Book
- Sun?
- Spending the next few days near the shores of Lake...
- I Did it
- Saw this little guy while out in a park today.
- I have been out and about more now that it is nice...
- song that is in my head today:
- Stayed up most of the night writing a paper for my...
- Random thought for the day: Even though I dislike ...
- I haven't been online much. Lots going on, both g...
- http://polkadotpajamas.posterous.com/dinner-in-can...
- Condo Part IV
- Condo Part III
- Condo Part II
- Condo
- No title
-
▼
June
(22)
Hey;
ReplyDeleteThe Life of Edgar Sawtelle, Brief Encounters with Che Guevara, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Soldier of the Great War, Anna Karenina, and Snow Falling on Cedars.
Here's what we've read and enjoyed in the last year and a half: Patrick O'Brian's complete Aubrey/Maturin stories (Carolyn didn't expect to like them but they really grew on both of us); Lord of the Rings; two or three stories by PG Wodehouse; Guareschi's "Little World of Don Camillo"; Nard Jones' "Swift Flows the River" (a Columbia river historical novel); Amy Tan's "Saving Fish from Drowning" (we just finished it today); two or three hilarious Dortmunder stories by Donald Westlake. I second "Snow Falling on Cedars."
ReplyDeleteA few of my past summer reading you might like "Joy Luck Club" by Amy Tan, "The Crystal Cave" by Mary Stewart, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. You might have already read them but the Emily series by Lucy maud Montgomery is very good too. I can't wait to hear more about your trip!
ReplyDelete