Highlights of the past few days:
Friday: I went to an easter potluck at my sister's house. I unknowingly ate lamb (I thought it was beef). After flirting with the idea of vegetarianism for some time now, the thought of eating a little fluffy white lamb was enough to convince me to stop eating meat. This decision was also aided by my vegetarian cousin April, who was the one to point out I was eating lamb and who then proceeded to share in great detail her experience of once working on a lamb farm in Australia. Without prompting she shared much more than I wanted or needed to hear.
Saturday: trip to the bird sanctuary. More pictures forthcoming.
Sunday: It was a very warm day so I set out for the Starbucks about 5 blocks away sans my van. Along the way we had to pass by the relatively new casino on the native reservation that borders my neighbourhood. And long story short I ended up there. I put $20 in a machine because it had goldfish and I thought they were cute. And I left with $87. I got a lot of weird looks. I guess the patrons of the Gray Eagle Casino are not used to seeing somebody gamble with a mouth stick. Sigh. It probably would have bothered me a lot more but I was too busy drinking a giant fish bowl sized frozen strawberry margarita to care if anybody was staring. Well I guess its more correct to say worries over that declined in proportion to my consumption of the margarita. Then, after doing so well for 2 full days of being meat free, I fell off the bandwagon when I impulsively ordered an "Indian taco" in the casino's cafe (I skipped the easter buffet, which was what those with me had). This consisted of buffalo chili on top of a piece of bannock. And while I am not sure, I think this is the very first time I have ever eaten buffalo. So much for vegetarianism. However later I was struck with guilt thinking about how much I admired and was captivated by all the buffalo roaming around freely in Elk Island national park last fall. So this had some echos of the lamb incident.
Monday: I went to a Gordon Lightfoot concert. In a somewhat serendipitous chain of events, two days after I heard The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and wondered why I never bothered to listen to Gordon Lightfoot's music much before, I found out he was coming to Calgary. This was about 3 weeks ago maybe a bit longer. In between obtaining tickets and last night's show, I had given my ticket away suddenly remembering the fiasco of the Barenaked Ladies concert last year and my vow to never attend another concert. Thankfully the person I gave the tickets to understands me better than I realized and took the offered ticket only to humour me. He left it stuck to my fridge with a magnet on the assumption I would change my mind. At first this outraged me and I was determined to give the ticket to somebody else. But sanity prevailed and I went and had a good time. My grandmother (a few weeks shy of her 84th birthday) also came, which was great. It was a very nice show. I might write a few more thoughts on it when I have some time. In the meantime here are a few videos because I have had his songs in my head all day. An older video and a newer one.
It's been a busy few days. From one extreme to another, today I haven't accomplished one single thing.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Reading List
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(127)
-
▼
April
(28)
- Eye surgery went good. I am at home.
- I haven't had the chance to write for a few days. ...
- I went to the Leonard Cohen concert last night. I ...
- After writing that we weren't seeing much of Jaspe...
- We had some technical difficulties earlier trying ...
- Tuesday part 2
- I posted last night but when I tried to edit to pu...
- Day 2
- Thoughts on Edmonton
- We were supposed to leave no later than 9 am. It's...
- Jasper Forecast
- Me and the Queen Hang Out in the Same Places
- No title
- I got rid of the word verification thing finally. ...
- Highlights of the past few days:Friday: I went to ...
- I started posting pictures earlier today but got s...
- No title
- Pictures
- I got to the bird sanctuary.Pictures and observati...
- The tentative plan is to go to the bird sanctuary ...
- My eye is continuing to improve. I have finally be...
- My concerns for today:1. I recently changed my int...
- My eye is much better this morning. Not so much my...
- Self hosted pity party
- Things can never just be simple for me. Setback wi...
- Things are still blurry but this morning I can see...
- I am pretty wiped out of energy still so just a qu...
- Not sure yet how my eye is I had to keep it covere...
-
▼
April
(28)
omg Gordon Lightfoot. I'm so jealous!
ReplyDeleteGlad you're getting out darling. We'll have to do the casino when we are back. Counting down the days! Love you.
knk
Glad you enjoyed the concert and casino.C'mon,you could have put on a much better show if you had your grandma @ the bar too=)
ReplyDeleteI'm thrilled to know you're out and about too.I always hate when someone says that though,as if we shouldn't or something...but in this case,it's better than you being a recluse!Guilty here too @ times;)
I'm complaining about getting nothing done too!Sigh. <3 ya!
Shannon
my comments are missing, I posted last night...hmmm
ReplyDeleteDid they post properly? I get email notifications of comments and I didn't get one with your comments :(
ReplyDeleteI am guessing that my password thingamabob didn't take, I assumed it did, then I shut the screen....post gone.
ReplyDeleteAnyhow, simply said that I am glad you caught the concert, got out, won some money and had your yuppie drinks as Dogger called them.
Be well, have fun and break all the rules!
B~