Saturday, April 18, 2009

Thoughts on Edmonton


Just a quick update for now. More this evening if I can. We were supposed to leave for Jasper by 8:30 am. It's now 9:22 am and we are not even close to leaving. Where have I written this before? lol

Although we were very late leaving Calgary the drive to Edmonton went well. We took a small detour at Red Deer to go to Sylvan Lake to visit my cousin Seth. Then we stopped at the Walmart in Lacombe to get new windshield wipers. The van has needed them for at least 4 months but of course it never got done until one of the blades literally flew off the van because the rubber rotted through. Since it looked like it would rain, we thought it best we stop and get new ones. In a moment of madness I decided to go into Walmart rather than waiting in the van.

We did finally make it to Edmonton in the late afternoon. There is an intense rivalry between Calgary and Edmonton and as somebody who has lived in the Calgary area most of my life, I have been conditioned to dislike and insult Edmonton--for not other reason that it is the inferior city. And likewise people in Edmonton detest Calgary. Actually I think all of Canada detests Calgary but anyways, I think that for the first time ever I can appreciate what a beautiful place Edmonton is. There are no mountains, so in the way it maybe lacks some of the dramatic views that one can get around Calgary. But the enormous North Saskatchewan River flows right through the city and for a city of close to a million people, there is an amazing amount of green space. Central Alberta is so different from the foothills of Southern Alberta that I am used to. I am willing to concede I may have been unfair in my previous assessment of Edmonton as a place I would never want to live. The sad thing is I have been to Edmonton many many times. I have just never "noticed" it before.

One thing that would keep me away though--the weather is bitterly cold and unlike Calgary where we at least get the relief of the chinook winds to break up the cold. The deep freeze in Edmonton can last 6 or 7 months. Or more. My favorite Edmonton comment I have ever heard came from my friend Rob who once referred to Edmonton as "the only city colder than my ex-wife's black heart" lol

(Actually Rob has never been married but it was still an incredibly funny and memorable quote)

Anyways if you have never been to Edmonton, I would encourage a visit. I wish we had more than a few hours here. More pictures later as I am out of time but here is one shot from last night. We were right downtown at the Marriot. I admit it was a weird feeling as I can't recall the last time I stayed anywhere that was as "downtown" as this. Even in Vancouver last summer we stayed more off centre.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda! I think running on time is a falacey and just never happens, lol. The photo is pretty, reminds me of S.F. at night.
    Zman is following your adventure with me and is looking forward to another color on the map, I am simply guessing where you are going to so per Zman, a red line to Jasper would be nice. ;-) Did your s-i-l go? I hope she did, it would be good for the 2 of you.
    Looking forward to more posts and updates.
    Hugs,
    B~

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your trips and descriptions of Canada make me long to visit. If only we could drive there, but alas, from NC is quite impossible unless I had 3 or 4 drivers, a PCA, and lots of vacation time. Someday though.

    ReplyDelete

Reading List