Sunday, November 22, 2009

School continues to consume all my time and has me on the verge of a meltdown most days it seems. 2 more weeks of classes then the final. I joked to a friend today in an email that next semester I won't be taking anything related to programming but instead will enroll in something like the history of furniture--which is a course that is offered. He cautioned me that the mixing of furniture eras might be intense. So I am now unsure what to enroll in. I really must find myself a program to register in as academic drifting, as appealing as it seemed at the beginning of this semester, is clearly not working for me. Since I enjoyed my art history course in the spring so much--and more importantly it didn't break my brain as my attempts to learn C++ is doing--I think I will just go back to that for the winter term.

I have had a difficult time getting the accomodations I require. Something that has me confused as in the spring it was no issue. I suspect the Accessibility Office is understaffed and therefore I might not be the only one falling through the cracks. But the lack of support has made this semester much more difficult than it needed to be. Finally after realizing I was either going to have to withdraw the course or risk a very real chance of getting an F, I decided to go see the professor. Which was not an easy decision as I have found him somewhat difficult to deal with. I had sent him a few emails earlier in the semester explaining that I was falling behind and wondering if there was a way to salvage the course. He replied to them all, but somewhat in a somewhat bizarre fashion, managed to always ignore my concerns and reply about things that had nothing to do with what I had just written.

But last week, I finally decided to go and see him in his office and appeal to him for some brief extensions. And while I admit that I am a terrible slacker and in the past have possibly abused the goodwill of extensions granted to me, in this case I honestly required them. I have been working my butt off in the course. And I have never gotten such bad greats for such a big effort lol. My meeting with the prog turned out to be a good thing, although it nearly turned into a disaster when I broke down and started crying. I think he was so appalled that he would have agreed to any accomodations or extensions just to get me to stop. Or to get me out of his office :/ We did come to an agreement, although he did try to encourage me to withdraw and try the course again next semester, but told me I could continue to come to class and get help from him. I haven't yet decided what to do. But for now I am going to continue. He is a good guy and I have to take back some cursing I did about him when he didn't seem to be understanding my emails. I think I just had to go make the connection in person. I should have done it earlier in the semester. I may not be sitting at 52% if I had. Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda:
    I know how hard it was for you to meet with the professor but I am glad yu did. Use him as your tutor and hands, it will be a good learning experience for him and he will see how much effort you actually put into getting your assignments done. I personally found that if I met with Profs at the first of the semester or before classes started, it went much better.

    I have to say I do miss your art history blog posts and it seems to be a natural passion for you. You got me so interested in Russian art and artist, so your passion is indeed real.

    Great to see you posting. Just talked to Trudy and she said to tell you hello.

    Hugs,
    B~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the tears worked! LOL Stick it out and fnish the class. You'll be glad you did.

    ReplyDelete

Reading List