Monday, October 19, 2009

Did I say I was going to post more? And then I didn't :(

We got hit with some very cold weather and that seemed to sap my already sagging energy. I am not sure why I am so tired but it seems that is my chronic way of being lately. Although to be fair, lots has been going on, with all the travelling I did, some health stuff, going back to school, moving into the condo, moving out of the condo, moving back into the condo. I think I am just worn out. And the bitter cold weather didn't help.

It's warmer now but winter is for sure on its way :(

I don't yet really have any pictures of my condo, mostly because it doesn't feel yet like my home. I was telling a friend in an email today that I felt like I was living in a fancy hotel. Not so much because of the interior of my unit, which is far from fancy lol. But the hallways, with the mirrored elevator and fancy furniture, makes it feel that way to me. Perhaps it will pass. But I don't know.

It's also a bit weird living in a place where everybody is my grandparent's age. I don't want to come off as ageist here so I want to point out that I don't have anything against living in a "plus 55 building" (what a term!) but I definately feel out of place. But the reality is, at least in the part of the building I live in, I think it's more like "plus 75." It's also been very awkward because, well because of just how things are for me. Everybody is nice here, wants to help anyway they can, many have shown concern for me when they see me in the hallway--if I am feeling okay, if I am warm enough, if I am comfortable, if I need anything. It's all very sweet. But makes me feel so very self conscious. I am guessing it might settle down after I have lived her for some time. But for now, I am definately a novelty. It's not a great feeling.

4 comments:

  1. Amanda:
    Great to see you post. Just an idea, might work. pick out one friendly but alone neighbor and visit some day with cookies or invite them for tea. Let them see that you have a life, are active, etc. Once people know you as a person, instead of a stranger in the hallway, it will break the ice or at least I think so.
    My oldest had a feeding tube for 9 years. People would see him at the pool, etc and say "poor kid". I would invite some over and they quickly saw that the "poor kid" was anything but sickly. They generally left thinking "poor mom!".
    Hope you settle into your new digs soon. Moving is hard, traveling harder. Add it together and ya have fatigue.
    Hugs,
    B~

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a good idea

    moving is never easy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you post. Good luck with the condo. I find that age range is alway ready to offer help. I am taking a water color class at teh Senior Center in town, and everyone is always offering. But I am not really going to ask someone my mom's age for help getting the chair in the car. LOL.

    But it is nice to know that if you really need help, someone is there. Even if they just call someone who can actually help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the catch um up, Amanda. All the best with your situation. Sounds like your neighbors are friendly and trustworthy, anyway, that's got to be a plus.

    Stay warm,

    Mattlex

    ReplyDelete

Reading List